Thursday, February 15, 2018

Songs and Smells

They say that your strongest memories are tied to smells.  I hope the memory of smoke doesn't stick with me.  Instead I will savor the smell of the roses I got from Tom for Valentine's Day and the comforting smell of a warm cup of chai tea I'm enjoying from the Kurig at our host family's home.

Trying to decide if an item that we've cleaned a number times is rid of the smell of smoke is almost becoming humorous.  "Here, smell this.  Does it smell like smoke?"  it's almost like asking if the milk is sour.

Many of my strong memories are tied to songs too.  I have to be honest music is played louder this past week, especially when it's a song I really love.  This morning it was Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill.  That song always dug at my heart strings.  I think it's much more about the melody than the lyrics.  My heart does go "boom, boom, boom for the eagle's flying over the route I drive to work.  A couple of days ago it was Van Halen's Right Now.

Work was tough today. So many distractions.  I struggled to stay focused.  It's probably from poor sleep; some nights are better than others.  I thought I slept well last night.  Falling asleep during my massage, for the car accident, indicated otherwise.  After that I caved to the day, picked up food for dinner and some storage bins to organize the belongings we are accumulating due to the immense generosity of friends and co-workers.

The article published in the Farmington Independent.  The journalist said nice things, but it was very poorly written, sadly.  I was so glad that she did share the support we are getting from our communities.

We'll be staying at another friend's home for the weekend to make room for the college son of our host family.  Having boys his age, I completely understand his desire to come home and bring friends.  It will be nice to be with other friends and have a pretty full agenda for the weekend.  It's Home and Garden Show weekend!  Where else would we want to spend a Sunday.  We've got to start thinking about what we want done to our home when it gets rebuilt.

Tonight's entry is such a mind jumble.  Hopefully I can be a bit more focused again.

No comments:

Post a Comment