Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Boxes and Bins

Tom and I started the day at our respective work places trying to get as much done as one can in a few hours and with many distractions (in our heads and around us).  At noon we met with the first contractor that will be submitting a bid on the rebuild.

It's still cold.  Like shaking muscles cold.  I'm sure a lot of that has to do with stress, but it's super weird when you thigh muscles just shake violently.  Thankfully I have a long coat, so maybe only I know what is going on.  It was actually warmer outside than inside the shell of our house.  I will be so grateful for the warmer day ahead on Wednesday.

The rebuild sends my head spinning.  The contractor talked about what we'd be interested in doing to the floor plan, very briefly.  So much depends on whether the firehose water damaged the foundation.  At this point all I know is that I really want to put the kitchen where the living room was and the living room where the kitchen was.  Why in the world anyone would design a house so you had to walk through the living room to put groceries away, not to mention going up half a flight of stairs.  I also know I really want a bathtub in my master bath.  We had the tiniest bathroom.  Those things are dreams and I hope they can happen.  The priority though would be much better windows, so we don't feel the wind coming through the casings as it whips across the farm field behind us.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the thought of making choices about stuff.  I'm not very good when given too many options.  I couldn't even choose baby food when Blake was an infant.  I stood there looking at all those jars and felt anxious.  To me it was so much easier to just buy fresh food steam it and make my own.  How in the world will I be able to pick wall colors, flooring, cabinetry...  Hopefully whoever builds the house will narrow down the choices because of budget.

We weren't at the house very long.  There really wasn't much for the contractor to do until he gets more info from the adjuster like if every wall will be torn down.  I'm guessing yes.

After a wonderful lunch at Bourbon Butcher we headed to the storage unit.  They had a larger one available for us to move into so we can actually go through stuff.  This was amazing!  I got to really see what we pulled out.  There were so many totes with photos, negatives and memorabilia.  Even a cardboard box with photos that I got from when my grandmother passed away.  They may all stink like smoke but I have them.  Everyone!!! store your stuff in totes!  Transparent ones are great to be able to have a quick look at what they contain.  They wouldn't survive flames or direct heat, but they survived the water and direct smoke.

Of course we had to stop at a store; I needed more underwear.  Four pair just won't cut it.

After a chicken dinner from Cub we returned a call to the Farmington Independent.  The lady was super gracious and sympathetic.  Hopefully the article, if it is written, is kind.  I mentioned how amazing our support groups are and how much everyone is helping. I hope she recognizes that.  I don't think this would be bearable if it weren't for the wonderful people that have reached out with support.



newspaper interview

No comments:

Post a Comment